Miller County, the state's 117th county, was created by the
state legislature in 1856 out of portions of Early and Baker
counties and 283 square miles. The county was named for attorney
Andrew Miller, who served in the state senate and later became
president of the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta.
Colquitt was designated as the county seat in the same year as
the county's founding. The city was named after Walter T.
Colquitt, a clergyman, attorney, and judge, who served in the
U.S. Senate from 1843 to 1848. The county's first courthouse,
built in Colquitt, was replaced once and then burned twice
before the current structure was completed in 1977. While
Colquitt remains the only Miller County Courthouse incorporated
city in Miller County, there are twenty other small communities.
At the turn of the twenty-first century, cotton, peanuts, and
corn for grain were the top crops in Miller County, which today
ranks fourth in total peanut production in Georgia.
Miller County is home to Georgia's official folklife play, Swamp
Gravy. The ever-changing play is regularly scheduled at the
historic Cotton Hall in Colquitt, which also houses the Museum
of Southern Cultures. Storytelling circles are also popular
because of the play. The Swamp Gravy Institute, an arts service
organization formed as an outgrowth of the play, is a consulting
and training unit of the Colquitt-Miller Arts Council. A
storytelling festival is held in Colquitt in August, and the
May-Haw Festival, honoring the tart south Georgia fruit, is held
in April at Spring Creek Park, which also contains ecologically
The ongoing Millennium Murals Project, funded by public and
private sources, has become a community beautification project.
Using walls on area schools and business establishments, project
designers pair artists with local middle and high school
students, teachers, and community members. The murals depict
stories told by locals about community happenings.
According to the 2000 U.S. census, the population of Miller
County is 6,383 (70.3 percent white, 28.9 percent black, and 0.7
percent Hispanic), an increase of 2 percent since 1990.
Source: The New Georgia Encyclopedia